The heat is on - & I love it

And now for another trip into the confessional.

While everyone else is lamenting our brutally hot weather, and we are under 24-hour siege from the good folks on TV who want to tell us that while may hit 96 degrees today, it is actually going to feel like 100, I can tell you this:

Bring it on.

I like this weather.

That’s right, the hotter the better. And here’s another thing: I hate air-conditioning. I tolerate it here in the office. And my family demands it at home. But I could live without it quite easily.

When I get home tonight the first thing I will do is throw on a pair of shorts and T-shirt and head for the deck.

I used to head for my screened-in porch, but that has been converted to a sunroom, which, I have to admit, is very nice.

But for right now we are keeping that open from the kitchen, which means it is also air-conditioned. No thanks. I’ll be out on the deck.

Yes, I know we will hear all day about how dangerous this weather is.

Doesn’t bother me in the least.

There is, however, one thing I would like to do on a day like this. I’ve been trying to find time to do it now for years. That would be to sit in a big inner tube, and float slowly down the Brandywine River.

Watching the world go by and slowly snaking my way through Wyeth country. Now that would be a good day.

Here’s a morning forecast for all of you who are not nearly as enamored of this weather as I am. We’re headed for a high of 96 with a ‘real-feel’ temperature of 100 degrees right around noon. I wish I could tell you what the hell a ‘real-feel’ temperature is, but I’m not that sophisticated. There’s a chance of thunderstorms tonight. It will be more tolerable tomorrow.

Or, as my wife so simply puts, it will be ‘hot as blazes’ out there today.

I’ll be the one smiling.

So tell me what you think of all this heat chatter? Is my mind fried? Or do you agree? Post a comment and join the conversation.

Comments