One editor crying in his beer

There is a slight wrinkle for all of us who were waiting to pop the cork to toast the demise of the hated state Liquor Control Board.


The wrinkle’s name is Sen. Joe Scarnati. He’s a pretty powerful guy, being president pro tempore of the Pa. Senate and all.


Scarnati, R-Jefferson, has an agenda of issues he wants to pushin the fall when legislators return from their summer vacation. (By the way, do you know anyone who gets as much time off as these guys?) Guess what’s not on Scarnati’s agenda?


That’s right. The senator does not believe the time is right to sell off the state stores and get Pennsylvania out of the booze business.


Talk about a party pooper.


You can read the full story here.


I make no bones about my stand on this issue. I don’t have any strong feelings about revenue, jobs or keeping demon alcohol out of the hands of underage teens (good thing I lived close to the Maryland border when I was a kid).


All I really want to do is be able to buy beer, wine, liquor and soda in one place. If it’s a state store, that’s fine by me. The supermarket would be even better. Can I grab a cold six at Wawa on the way home? Great.


Now it does not appear that any of that is going to happen any time soon.


And we just might have Scarnati to thank for it.


Pennsylvania. You want Marcellus shale, we’re your place. You want to buy beer and wine? No so fast, buster.


No wonder they call us Land of Giants.

Comments