Pa.'s booze battle

OK, so it's not exactly on a level with solving the national debt ceiling crisis.


Hell, it's likely not even as important as Pennsylvania's own budget crisis.


Still, I have a vested interest in the discussion swirling around the latest move to get Pennsylvania out of the booze business.


Yesterday, the man behind this push, Republican state Rep. Mike Turzai, went on the hot seat in Harrisburg.


You can read all about it here.


He wasn't alone. In the audience were several dozen state store employees wearing bright yellow union T-shirts.


I have gone on record as saying that I am in favor of what Turzai wants to do. Namely, he would blow up the Liquor Control Board and sell off the state store franchises to private enterprise. He thinks he can raise $2 billion in a one-time cash bonanza, and also equal or better the annual revenue stream the state gets from these stores. Not everyone is buying Turzai's numbers.


The unions are ticked because they see 5,000 members losing their jobs.


Me? Hey, I could actually live with the state stores, under one proviso. They add beer sales as well.


I want to go to one place for beer, wine, spirits and even soda. Preferably I'd like to do this while I am at the supermarket.


Turzai's bill doesn't affect beer sales at all in the state, and the archaic notion of using beer distributors for a case of beer, and local taverns or delis for a six-pack. And being unable to grab a six-pack or a single at your local convenience store.


I'd like to blow up the whole system and start over. I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it to happen.


Yesterday's hearing did nothing to change my mind. There will be more hearings later this summer. What there likely will not be any time soon is a vote on the bill.


Sip, sip hooray? Not exactly.

Comments