The sports dead zone

We’re in the sports dead zone.

The Phillies don’t pick up the post-All Star Game action until Friday night. That seems like months away.

I don’t really get all that worked up about the All-Star Game these days anyhow. After all, if it’s not good enough for ‘Mr. 3,000 Hits’ Derek Jeter to show up, why should the rest of us?

So far I haven’t been able to get all that excited about the U.S. women’s soccer team either. Not sure why. They play France today in a semifinal after their huge win over Brazil Sunday.

Did anyone else notice that their win after a dazzling header goal in the final minutes tied the game, then winning the contest on penalty kicks, lacked the same luster as the famous moment in 1999 when Brandie Chastain clinched the World Cup crown for the U.S. with a similar penalty shootout goal.

Of course, Chastain then proceeded to do something that made her famous, which did not occur this past Sunday when Abby Wambach scored to tie the game and the Yanks went on to win on penalty kicks.

I’ll give you the shirt off my back if you can figure out what was missing – literally.

I know what we need.

Altogether now: Are you ready for some football? I am. Hell at this point, I’ll settle for the Eagles at Lehigh.

End the lockout. Now.

A sports nation awaits their daily dose of training camp updates.

Comments