All shook up

This is the question we pose on the front page of today’s newspaper: What’s shakin’?


The answer, around 1:50 yesterday afternoon, of course, was: Everything.


Welcome to California.


Actually, the folks on the Left Coast are getting a pretty good chuckle out of our over the top reaction to a 5.8 magnitude earthquake. You can be the butt of the joke here.


The first hit of what was going on was a slight shake in the computer monitor that I seem to stare at about 18 hours a day. I put my hand on it to try to settle it. I didn't think anything of it. Then I heard some creaking in the rafters, the kind that usually accompanies a tech fishing through the myriad wires that snake through our building to keep us "plugged in."


Still, I didn't quite realize what was happening. Until the jolt. Yes, the building moved.


Suddenly everyone was asking, "Did you feel that." Everyone did. Not just here in Primos. But up and down the East Coast.


I quickly posted an item to our Twitter account. We were already seeing reports of the quake from colleagues in Washington, D.C.


You can read our coverage of the way Delco reacted to the quake here. It only reminded me of how vital social media - Twitter and Facebook - is in covering that kind of story. People were all over our Twitter and Facebook pages offering their reactions. We curated them and printed many of them in the newspaper this morning. But make no mistake, this was a 'social media' story.


You can probably accuse us - and media all up and down the East Coast - of making a mountain out of a 5.8 molehill. Go ahead. I won't say you're wrong.


For now, I can no cross one more item off my bucket list. I have experienced - and survived - an earthquake.


I still want to be lashed to a pole on the boardwalk when one of those big N'oreasters or a hurricane blows in. Sounds like I just might get my chance this weekend when Irene rolls up the East Coast.


Shortly after the temblor hit, the phones here in the newsroom lit up. One, it's nice to know they worekd. Two, it's nice to know people stil turn to us for information in times of crisis.


I also got a call from my wife at home. Did you feel that? I assured her I did. I resisted asking her the same question.


The last thing I wanted to hear from her was, "not for years." Just kidding, honey.


A little earthquake humor there. Honey? Honey? Uh-oh.




Comments