Confessions of an Eagles fan

Here’s a confession of a die-hard Eagles fan.

The Birds will be back on national TV Thursday night, after flying across the country to face Seattle on an NFL Network contest (it will be broadcast locally PHL-17). It will mark the fifth time the Eagles’ will appear on national TV.

I have not seen a single play of any of them.

There was a time when that would be unthinkable. I would think nothing of staying up until midnight or even later to watch every second of the game.

Not anymore.

I don’t think it has all that much to do with the lousy “dream” season the Eagles are mired in. It has more to do with the fact that I find myself increasingly tired – not of football, but just plain tired. But the Birds' miserable season - and even more miserable coach - has made it a lot easier to fade away into dreamland instead of hanging on every play.

I posted an item on our website yesterday that explained that there actually is a way the Eagles could still make the playoffs. It’s a reach, a premise based initially on the idea that the Eagles win their remaining five games, starting Thursday night in Seattle.

Anyone else think that’s not going to happen?

Yeah, I thought so.

The guess here is that I won’t see any of tomorrow night’s game either.

Will I miss it? Not really. It’s been that kind of year. Sure, I hope they win. Is there the chance that a late-season rally could mean one more year of Andy Reid? Yes.

But I don’t think so. And here’s why.

I think there are a lot more people out there like me. A lot of fans who simply no longer care – don’t live and die – with the Eagles.

That’s what Andy Reid has done to the fan base. That's what his pompous, arrogant attitude has done to the best fans in sports.

And that’s why I think Jeff Lurie will replace him when the season is over.

I could be wrong. It won’t be the first time.

Jeffrey, the time’s yours.

Comments