Don't toast the end of the LCB just yet

So much for my hope of being able to toast the new year with the knowledge that Pennsylvania soon will be out of the booze business.


No such luck.


But we are making some progress.


It’s no secret where I stand. I want to be able to go to one place – preferably the supermarket while I am getting my groceries – and also take care of my “spiritual” side.


I want to walk down an aisle full of anything I might want – wine, spirits, beer (singles, six-packs and cases).


Ain’t going to happen.


The bill that would blow up the state Liquor Control Board and turn the operation over to private enterprise has been hijacked in Harrisburg. Kind of like everything else that happens out there.


You can read the story here.


Not that the plan was perfect. It wouldn’t have had any effect on beer sales at all.


Yesterday a state House Liquor Committee (I know, how do you get that job?) approved House Bill 11 and sent it to the full House.


It will give consumers some more options, while keeping the state store system – along with the jobs and revenue it produces.


Chalk this one up to the power of unions protecting all those state workers’ jobs.


What are we going to get? Beer distributors would be able to sell wine and get more options in terms of being able to sell you something other than a case of brew. State stores likely would get another expansion of their hours.


It also could open the door for wine super stores, such as those nearby just over the line in Delaware, to set up shop in Pa., but only if they fork over a fairly hefty license fee.


Looks like state Rep. Nick Miccarelli might wind up losing his bet. He told me I was going to get my wish, that I would be able to push that plunger and blow up the hated LCB.


Now the system is being saved, in the Nick of time, you might say.


Don’t blame Miccarrelli. He’s in favor of privatization. But for now this is likely the best we are going to get.

Comments