Staying on top of the Sunoco story

UPDATE: Marcus Hook Mayor James Schiliro will join us tonight at 7 for our "Live From the Newsroom' Internet broadcast.

Perhaps nobody in the region is more acutely aware of what is at stake in this situation as Schiliro. The borough's budget likely will have a $1 million hole in it should the refinery be closed.

We also have an invitation out to Chichester School Superintendent Barbara DiMarino. We're still waiting to hear back from her. Chichester schools could lose as much as $3.8 million in tax revenue should both the Sunoco and ConocoPhillips plants close their doors.

Join us at DelcoTimes.com tonight at 7 for a discussion abour Marcus Hook and Sunoco.


Clearly the situation involving the shutdown and possible sale of the Sunoco refinery in Marcus Hook is a big story in Delaware County and the region.


That’s why it’s been on our front page the last two days.


And that’s why I wanted to focus on it for tonight’s live-stream “Live From the Newsroom” show.


But that’s where I’ve hit some problems.


At first I wanted to talk with several key union officials involved in the plant shutdown and  possible sale. But they’re all going to be in Washington, D.C., today, seeking support for their cause.You can read our latest story on their mission here.


Then I thought maybe we could have some of our state legislators who admitted last week that they have not had any conversations with anyone who wanted to operate the site as a refinery. Those statements raised a lot of eyebrows, especially among rank-and-file refinery workers. The problem is the Legislature is in session and they are all in Harrisburg.


Then I thought maybe County Council boss Jack Whelan could join the panel. Unfortunately tonight is the public hearing for the county budget – which just happens to include a tax hike this year.


I guess I could invite Sunoco CEO Lynn Elsenhans to come on the show, but for some reason I don’t think she’s available. But the invite goes out anyhow. Hey, Lynn, any chance you’re free tonight?


I have a couple of other angles I’m pursuing. If any readers have an idea, you can email me directly at editor@delcotimes.com.


I know how important this story is to the lower end of the county, with a way of life on the line.


I have no intention of letting it slip through the cracks.

Comments