A toast to the end of the LCB? Not yet

Just as I did last year, I will likely try futilely to stay up to watch the ball drop ushering in the new year on Saturday night.

My days of New Year’s Eve revelry are pretty much in the rear-view mirror.

However, it’s entirely likely I will celebrate the occasion with my bride with a bit of bubbly.

Which, of course, means only one thing. No, we won’t be passed out together. At least she won’t.

It means one final 2011 trip into the wonderful world of alcohol sales in Pennsylvania.

My goal for 2011 has failed miserably.

Despite support from Gov. Tom Corbett, and a new push in the Legislature, including our own Delco state Rep. Nick Miccarelli, R-162,, it does not appear Pennsylvania is any closer to getting out of the booze business.

So tomorrow morning I likely will make one trip to the state store for perhaps a bottle of wine and another of champagne. And should I want to grab a six-pack of beer, that will be one more trip. And if I would like to purchase a case? Well, that’s one more destination.

Welcome to Pennsylvania, land of giants.

And once again I will make the same resolution I have made now for several years.

All I want for the new year is to be there, with my hands on the plunger, when we blow up this system and turn the entire process over to private enterprise.

Imagine, wine, beer, spirits, a six-pack, a single all in the same aisle of your favorite supermarket of liquor outlet.

Yeah, I know. Keep dreaming.

And so, a toast, just as I made last year, ringing out the old and in the new, and praying for the end of the LCB.

Maybe next year.

Comments