Violence in Chester

I have to admit I was a little leery when I put out an invitation to several Chester groups to join me on our ‘Live From the Newsroom’ program to talk about violence in the city.


I wasn’t really sure anyone would respond.


I was wrong.


In fact, I was a little overwhelmed.


Everyone we asked was more than willing to come forward, except for one.


That, unfortunately, would be a representative for the city and Police Chief Darren Alston.


Of course, that might have had something to do with the fact that the new Mayor-Elect, Democrat John Linder, was going to be on the panel.


Toward the end of the show, I asked Linder what was the first thing he planned to do when he takes his hand off that Bible after being sworn into office in January.


Linder made it clear he planned to be very much a hands-on mayor, and that he had a particular interest in the police department. Linder wants to make sure the manpower is being deployed correctly in the war against violence.


That likely will be done with a new chief, although Alston will remain on the force.


My thanks to everyone else who came out last night, including Jonathan Abdur Rahim, Kenny Covert and Leo Davis from Brothers of Concern. Along with community activist Nicole Cogdell, they outlined a reading program they are taking to the streets in the city.


Police Chaplain the Rev. Rocky Brown talked about the city’s drug problem and how it was a critical part of the city’s violence problem.


Our very special guest was George Benson. He knows better than most the incredibly high cost of violence in the city. His niece died in his arms after being shot in the street outside his house.


There are a lot of people concerned about violence in Chester. I met many of them last night.


I feel better about the city’s future knowing the level of concern that is focusing on the problem.


You can check out the entire video from last night’s show here.



Comments