A Classic Weekend

Now that is what you call a ‘Classic’ weekend.

No, I didn’t don the lampshade Saturday night to ring in the new year. Those days – thankfully – are behind me.

I did, however, watch every second of the Winter Classic Alumni game. It was every bit what its moniker suggests – classic.

Of course that could be tempered somewhat by the fact that I am married to the world’s biggest Eric Lindros fan. That is the reason I stood in line for several hours a couple of weeks ago at the Granite Run Mall to get the opportunity to have Eric sign a photo of him and my wife that was taken back at one of the Flyers Carnivals in the '90s.

He smiled when I presented it to him and told him to brace himself for an oldie but goodie. “Wow, what year was that?” he inquired. In the meantime, the Mrs. was melting. I’ve never seen her happier in a mall, and this is a woman who could easily be a professional shopper.

Lindros, and in truth the Flyers, said and did all the right things all weekend. They buried the hatchet on some old bad blood. Lindros even did a post-game appearance with his one-time nemesis Bob Clarke.

For a long time I thought there was actually more interest, at least here in Philly, in the Alumni Game, as opposed to yesterday’s actual game between the Rangers and Flyers.

I was wrong.

The Winter Classic was one of those once-in-a-lifetime events. And the star of the show was the city of Philadelphia, and its much-maligned fans.

Yes, the Flyers lost the game, even if they scored more runs that the Phillies did in their last appearance in Citizens Bank Park.

I don’t think it mattered a bit.

Forget Detroit. Philly is now Hockeytown.

How do I know? Last night my wife was on NHL.com looking for Flyers and Winter Classic memorabilia.

She’s back. So is Eric Lindros. So are the Flyers.

A Stanley Cup now would be nice.

But for now, this weekend was a keeper.

Yes, you could call it a Classic.

Comments