The good news in Chester

I had a very interesting phone call earlier this week.


Brenda Johnson lives in Chester. She says she stopped reading the newspaper a few years ago because she was tired of the way her city was so often portrayed in these pages.


But she said her daughter had a copy of Monday’s paper and it was sitting on a table in her house when she picked it up.


She was calling to tell me she enjoyed my column. In it I lauded the work being done in the city by a grass roots organization called Brothers of Concern. They are rolling out a very important literacy initiative called Real Men Really Read. The newspaper is going to partner with them.


I had a very nice conversation with Ms. Johnson. But first, I had to admit to her that there is some truth to the argument that a lot of bad news emanates from the city. And it usually ends up in this newspaper. And that’s why I told her it was incumbent upon us to be sure to point out there are other stories in the city as well.


She seemed genuinely surprised that I felt that way.


She might be surprised at today’s editorial as well.


It details more good news in the city.


You can read it here.

Comments