The Paterno Legacy

I have to admit I was never much of a Penn State fan.

And I always thought their crusty, old coach, the guy wearing the rolled up khakis with the coke bottle glasses, was a bit much.

But I have to admit I’ve been moved by what has happened the past couple of days in Happy Valley.

I have been among those who have said that Joe Paterno was Penn State. It’s part of the reason I could not understand why he did not do more when confronted with allegations against his former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky.

But that’s for another day.

The last two days, and one final public service today, have been for remembering the man they simply called ‘JoePa.’

Over 61 years, he became the face of Penn State.

He touched countless young lives. Over the past few days, they have tried to repay the favor.

They all came back, all those players, all those students who identified him as a mentor and father figure.

They came back to pay their respects, and to offer a simple thank you.

That, much more than anything that has happened over the past few months, is Joe Paterno’s legacy.

Rest well, coach.

Comments