The day reserved for romance

Today is the day reserved for matters of the heart.


Otherwise known as the stimulus package for florists, card companies and candy makers.


Happy Valentine’s Day.


I know, I’m such a romantic.


Today we feature stories on a couple who met on a SEPTA trolley, and another who found love the second time around when they got reacquainted at their 40th high school reunion.


On Sunday, we featured a story that we had been promoting on Twitter and Facebook, looking for people who decided to profess their love through tattoos. You can read that one here.


I’m not a tattoo guy, not that there’s anything wrong with that. It’s just not me.


All I know is that later this year I will celebrate 30 years here in beautiful downtown Primos. My wife will tell you that this newspaper has been the real love of my life. I think she is only partially kidding.


But I can also tell you that if I have been here three decades, then I have been married to her for exactly 29 years. It’s true, I got here in June 1982, and we got married one year later in June 1983.


For some reason, she has not kicked my sorry behind to the curb yet.


She has spent entirely too much of those 29 years alone, knowing the man sleeping next to her as the guy who showed up on weekends.


She was pretty much on her own while I was working nights for all those early years. Our kids are the young adults they are in large part because of her. And today she spends too much time in an empty house because I am preoccupied with being “wired-in” 24 hours a day.


I owe her more than I’ll ever be able to repay.


Here’s a down payment.


Happy Valentine’s Day!

Comments