Immaterial Girl?

First things first.

No, not the commercials. They were mediocre at best. It seemed like every one of them involved a dog or a baby.

But I want to talk about the halftime show.

I have to admit I was a bit dubious at the choice of Madonna as the headliner. Although I figured almost anything would have been an improvement over last year.

Of course there was a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth over the Material Girl’s propensity for outrageous acts.

I’m sure the people who run the NFL and NBC didn’t want any rerun of Madge swapping spit with another woman, as she famously once did with Britney Spears at the Grammys.

So instead there was a minor uproar when one of the supporting singers, someone named M.I.A., flipped the audience the bird, along with a national TV audience.

Somehow I think the Republic will survive.

I want to talk about something else. Maybe it’s just me. Or at least me and my wife.

Were we the only ones who noticed that Madonna seemed to be lip-synching the songs?

My wife picked up on this immediately. At first I doubted it, but the more I listened – and watched – the more I started to wonder.

If that’s the case, I’m dumbfounded there aren’t more people talking about it this morning.

The Super Bowl halftime act has become something of a cultural icon. We’ve had dynamite shows from The Boss Bruce Springsteen; Prince, Paul McCartney, U2, the Rolling Stones, Aerosmith and Tom Petty.

All of them performed live.

And all of them managed to do it without the kind of outrageous Egyptian land of the pharoahs that acccompanied Madonna as she took the stage.

If in fact Madonna was only mouthing the words and nor actually performing them live, it’s a slight on the proud tradition of Super Bowl shows.

If the Material Girl was afraid of delivering the goods all by herself, then she shouldn’t have been on the stage in the first place.

By the way, it wasn't my wife's only sharp observation of the day. She knows more sports than most of the guys I talk to.

She wants the Monday after the Super Bowl made a national holiday? What do you think? Maybe we should move Presidents Day to the Monday after Super Bowl? Or should the game be played on a Saturday night?

Post a comment and let me know!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Your wife sounds like a smart woman. Madonna played it safe but she still made mistakes.
Heron's Nest said…
She's definitely the brains in this outfit!