Silence is golden at Oscars

And the Oscar goes to ….

… Another movie I haven’t seen.

That’s actually not all that unusual. My days of going out to the movies are becoming something of a rare event. The last movie I saw in the theater was Clint Eastwood's 'Gran Torino.' Very good flick, but then what else would you expect from Clint.

Actually, I fared better this year than in years past. Through the wonders of Netflix, I had actually seen two of the movies nominated for Best Picture. I liked ‘Moneyball,’ the story of how Billy Beane used a small budget and a new wave of stats to evaluate players to transform the Oakland A’s. But to be honest I wouldn’t exactly call it Best Picture material.

I also checked out Woody Allen’s ‘Midnight in Paris,’ despite my aversion to anything Owen Wilson is in. It was a nice movie. But Best Picture? You’re kidding, right?

I have to admit that I fell asleep after about 20 minutes of ‘The Tree of Life.’ If someone can tell me what that movie was about, feel free.

I can, however, guarantee you of one thing. I have no intention of watching Best Picture winner ‘The Artist.’

It’s a silent film done in black and white. I’ll pass.

I will, however, see ‘The Descendants,’ with my man George Clooney, who did not win for Best Actor either.

My idea of movies is to be entertained. That’s why I lean toward drama and action flicks.

Spare me any subtitles, animation, science fiction, etc. Don’t hold my grudge against the ‘The Artist’ as a bias against black-and-white movies. Not so. I happen to think that one of the best movies ever made, on my Top 5 list, is “On the Waterfront.”

But black and white and silent? I don’t think so.

Hooray for Hollywood? Shhhhh, Oscar at work.

Comments

DB said…
You are so right on about 'The Artist'.