Taking a flying leap

I will resist the urge to tell the first person who calls with a complaint today to “take a flying leap.”

It is, after all, Leap Day. Yep, check the calendar. It's Feb. 29. Happens just like clockwork every four years.

Don't you think it would be a much better idea to have an extra day in, say, July, as opposed to February. Although to be honest I suppose I shouldn't complain about the weather. Sure it's going to rain today, but most years we'd be getting hammered by snow.

They say it's going to be in the 60s on Saturday. I'm not complaining.

We decided to skip the usual feature story today on a person who was born on Leap Day. After you say that, and calculate their age according to their actual birthday, what else is there to say?

Instead I will choose to “leap” into baseball season. That’s right, the Phillies play their first exhibition game today in Clearwater against a college squad from Florida State.

I assure you it will be most reassuring to see Jimmy Rollins step into the batter’s box. So long as he doesn’t pop up the first pitch.

Remember guys, we’re being more selective this year.

I can just hear the entire Phillies team telling me to take a flying leap right now.

Comments