The way I will remember Whitney Houston

Spare me all the tawdry details of the fall of Whitney Houston.


You can read them elsewhere.


Yes, she had everything. And yes, she threw it all away.


For me, Whitney Houston will only mean one thing.


That Voice.


And one song. This one. It’s been done by a million people. No one has come close to this.


A lot of people have been asked to sing it. Most butcher it. It is not the easiest song to sing. Many stars simply insist on twisting it into something that is almost unrecognizable.


Not Whitney. Her version of the National Anthem, delivered at the 1991 Super Bowl, is simply majestic.


And why shouldn’t it be.


After all, once you tear everything else away, there remains one thing:


The voice.


Comments

Pynetree said…
Phil, Thanks for sharing that clip again.
It still gives me goosebumps!
Her Voice will be her legacy.
DB said…
Phil I didn't know you were so musically updated. You are with it man (LOL). I agree with you. I don't want to hear about the fall from grace. Whitney had a beautiful voice. I hate the way people butcher the National Anthem. She did us proud with her rendition.