A conversation about new media

They apparently read The Heron’s Nest in the Sunoco executive suite.

You might remember that on Friday I threw out an open invitation to new Sunoco CEO New Sunoco CEO Brian MacDonald to add the Daily Times to his goodwill tour of local movers and shakers as he tries to explain why the company is getting out of the refining business.

I got a call Friday afternoon from Sunoco PR guru Thomas Golembeski. They were apparently somewhat taken aback that I would make the offer in such a public way. They probably have a point.

I sort of put them on the spot. But I wanted to get their attention. I think I got it.

They indicated that while they would welcome the opportunity to come in and chat with us, they likely will not be able to make it this week for our Wednesday night ‘Live From the Newsroom’ show. Actually, I don’t think they’re completely sold on that venue, but at least the invitation is out there.

For now, I’m looking for a topic for Wednesday night’s show. And since we’re all about community engagement these days, why not let the audience decide.

Do you think there’s a pressing issue that we should discuss? Have an idea for a show? Email me at editor@delcotimes.com.

There is one that I am intrigued by, suggested by my good friend Kate Claire.

Kate is one of our old community advisers who I have been trying to talk often into writing a blog.

Both Kate and I have concerns about the explosion of social media, the need to be “plugged-in” 24 hours a day, and what it is doing to all of us.

Kate wonders whether it is all “an empty bag.”

Kate suggests a roundtable or symposium on the effect of all this technology on us? Sounds like a great idea. Kate, I'll count you as the first member of the symposium. I’d love to hear from some educators, experts in social media and other communications gurus to see if they would be willing to come in Wednesday night and talk about the new world we live in – and what it’s doing to us.

If it sounds like something you’d be interested in, shoot me an email at editor@delcotimes.com.

Comments

As a parent and a blogger, I constantly have this conversation with myself! Some of my friends are completely plugged in; that's how I met them. Others not at all, and some in between. Some are very proud of not being plugged in which can come across as being judgmental of those of us living in both worlds. A complex, complicated topic rife with emotions - perfect!