Fast & Furious on Providence Road

Memo to the guy in the gray Saab (at least I think it was) who blew by me in the wee hours this morning out on Providence Road in Edgmont.

I sure hope you were having some kind of emergency, since you found it necessary to pass me on a winding country road.

Otherwise I have no idea what would have caused you to drive the way you did.

Here’s a couple of tips:

That double-yellow line? That means you’re not supposed to pass.

And that marker you ignored at the intersection? The red one? It’s called a stop sign. You’re supposed to stop at them, not hit the gas and barrel right through.

Sure, it was early. But if someone had pulled out into that intersection from the crossing direction, you would have slammed right into them.

Maybe you thought I was driving too slow. I might have been. That’s because I recently was reminded of the speed limit on the road by Upper Providence police.

Did you know that the speed limit when you enter into Upper Providence is now 35 mph? I didn’t, despite the sign proclaiming exactly that.

Wouldn’t have made much difference. When I was stopped, I would have been over the old 45 mph limit as well.

So, yeah, I drive the speed limit on that road these days. For anyone else who drives that road early, the good officers of Upper Providence tend to hang out around St. Mary Magdalen School. Consider yourself warned.

Why don’t you try doing the same. Or at least obey the simplest rules like a double-yellow line and stop sign.

Before you kill somebody.

Comments

Bucknelldad said…
As someone who lives on Providence Road in Edgmont and drives it very early every morning, I continue to be amazed by the Dale Earnhardt wannabes who tailgate and speed crazily between West Chester Pike and the merge with Route 252, especially between 5:30 and 6 a.m. I've seen drivers pull over when possible to let these idiots zoom by, whose speeds clearly exceed 60 miles an hour. I hope both the PA State and Upper Providence Police (Edgmont has no police) will set up some speed traps and nail some of these folks before they kill someone.
Bucknelldad said…
Thanks for posting this - I've "experienced" this driver (and other speed demons) as well during the predawn hours during my own daily commute south bound on Providence Road from West Chester Pike to the merge with Route 252, especially tailgating anyone driving under 60 miles per hour. I've seen drivers hurriedly pull over when possible to accommodate these idiots. I hope the PA State and Upper Providence Police are reading your post and perhaps make plans to hang out some morning at one of the schools along Providence Road to catch these irresponsible drivers.
Heron's Nest said…
Bucknell Dad:
I have to admit I was probably one of those people, hell-bent to get to work. But nothing like I saw this guy do today. I'm on the road a little earlier tan you, usually around 4:45. And yes, people used to pull over to let me go by. Not anymore. The speeding ticket cured me of that. Flash your lights at me some day if you see me!