Meet a miracle - the Bonner-Prendie Class of 2016

I got a first-hand look at a miracle last night.


I met the Class of 2016 at Monsignor Bonner-Archbishop Prendergast High school. Or at least some of them.


Last night the school held an event called “A Taste of Bonner and Prendie.” It was an indoctrination for kids who are considering enrolling in the schools, or who have already done so.


You see, that’s the miracle. Bonner and Prendie live. As does their long tradition.


They saved their school.


We decided to use the occasion to take our live-stream Internet show, 'Live From the Newsroom' on the road to Bonner-Prendie. I'm glad I did.


If you missed the show, you can click here to watch the replay.


I have to say I was a bit taken aback by how many people, many of whom I did not know, stopped me in the hallway to thank me for the newspaper’s coverage of this story.


I actually thanked them. They are the ones who made all this possible. After the tears, after the anger, they united and instead of bemoaning their fate, they took action.


We just did our job, covering the story.


But I’d be lying if it didn’t admit it felt good to be sitting there last night. Every person I talked to reminded me of how important what we do here every day actually is.


One parent said flatly that she didn’t think the schools would have been saved if it were not for the attention that we focused on their story.


I’ve never had a nicer compliment. And a very important reminder.

Comments

Anonymous said…
As a mother of a Prendie Freshman....I too want to send a heartfelt Thank You for all the coverage your paper gave to our cause. I have saved every paper that mentioned Bonner/Prendie and I will be making a memory book for her. She too was there last night and she it was a great night. We are all looking forward to an amazing new future.