Order wine? I'll just whine instead

Soon residents of this fine, forward-leaning state will be able to order wine from domestic makers and have it shipped directly to their homes.

No more trips to your friendly neighborhood state store. Swell. Is this a great state or what?

Unless, of course, you need something in a hurry. Or maybe just want to grab a bottle to go with dinner. Or perhaps need a mixed drink.

Oh, you want beer? That’s still a different store.

Six-pack? That’s another trip.

In other words, don’t wait for me to do backflips because you can now have wine shipped to your house.

Show of hands, please? How many people have ever ordered wine that way? Thought so.

But all is not lost.

My hero, state Rep. Mike Turzai, indicates the Legislature still might take up the issue of privatizing liquor sales this spring.

I won’t hold my breath. And I am stil putting my name on the list to volunteer to push the plunger and blow up this archaic system and turn it all - beer, wine, booze - over to private enterprise.

That's right. I'm greedy. I want cold six-packs in the Wawa checkout lines. I want to see entire aisles in the local grocery stores. And I want to put what I want in the car and check it out with the rest of the groceries.

Someday all or at least some of that might happen in Pa.

But I won't hold my breath. And it’s pretty unlikely I’ll be ordering any wine either.

In the meantime, I’ll just continue to waste gas making three different trips.

Good thing I give up beer for Lent.

Comments