'Read' it & rejoice, an important night in Chester


Chester gets a lot of bad publicity.

And a lot of it is delivered in this newspaper and website.

That’s why I’m always looking to show the other side of the coin in Chester.

Which is why I was in the city Monday night.

I was honored to be asked to speak at a kickoff rally for a literacy event being promoted by the grassroots organization Brothers of Concern.

The setting was the offices of the Delaware County Literacy Council. It turns out that is very appropriate because the program this group is pushing is an effort called “Real Men Really Read.”

Executive Director Jonathan Abdur-Rahim King, along with group founder Kenny Covert and community organizer Nicole Cogdell recognize the connection between illiteracy and crime, as well as a plethora of other problems. Chester is not alone in dealing with these issues, but this is an effort by volunteers from within the city to tackle the problem head-on.

Brothers of Concern is pushing 'Real Men Really Read' as a mentoring and tutoring program to improve literacy among city men.

I could not be more proud to put the newspaper front and center in this battle. Of course I have some selfish reasons for getting involved. I'm a newspaper editor. I have a vested interest in boosting the idea of reading. People don't read, I dont' work.

We are partnering with Brothers of Concern to push the program, and a couple of billboards boosting reading will soon appear along the I-95 corridor in the city. The Daily Times logo will proudly adorn the billboard.

Monday night an impressive array of speakers took aim at the literacy problem in the city, including Rabia Ahmad, the CEO of SMART (Single Mothers Are Really Trying), as well as author and Chester native author Ieasa Nichols-Harmon, who told the group how she overcame childhood abuse.

Chester Mayor John Linder also addressed the group.

Every person who spoke – with the exception of me – spoke of overcoming long odds and rough circumstances to get an education – other than the one offered on the streets, in and putting their lives on the right path.

Many indicated there were detours along the way, potholes sometimes referred to as abuse, crime and addiction, but they all persevered.

Now they are joining together to let others know it’s possible.

And I am planning to give them a platform to shout the message, when I’m not writing about it myself.

There is more than one story coming out of the city of Chester. I saw one of them firsthand Monday night.

To get involved, you can go to the Brothers of Concern website I at www.brothersofconcern.org. Call them at 610-800-5553. You can reach the Delco Literacy Council at 610-876-4811. They desperately need volunteers.

It’s time for action. Get involved. Join Brothers of Concern and prove that “Real Men Really Read.”

Comments