Spring has sprung

Spring has sprung.

Did I miss winter?

When did we move to North Carolina?

Hey, don’t hold your breath waiting for me to complain.

I’m not a winter guy. I hate it a little more each year. Snow stopped being fun for me the day I graduated from college and learned the real world did not exactly embrace the concept of “snow days.”

Snow is even more of a problem for newspaper editors. First you have to worry about getting the staff into the office. No, we’re not yet at the point where we can all work from home. Close, but not quite. Then, you actually have to cover the event. Snow, as anyone who has lived in this area for any amount of time, or is even a casual watcher of local TV news, is a big story. These people hyperventilate when the roads are wet. So when you get a big storm they go into overdrive.

No, I will not shed a tear for the fact that we did not get any serious snow storms, if you don’t count that weird dusting we got way back on Halloween.

Last weekend I actually spent some time in the yard working on the shrubs and the flower beds, mostly weeding.

I was reminded of it Monday morning, when it was all I could do to get out of bed.

So there’s not exactly a “spring” in my step, even if the calendar tells us that it is in fact March 20, the first day of spring.

Once we burn off this morning fog, we’re supposed to have another beautiful day.

Let us know what you are going to do to celebrate the first day of spring. And yes, that includes standing in line at Rita's for their tradition of free water ice on the first day of spring. Send us a photo at editor@delcotimes.com. Jump on Twitter and use the hashtag #delcospring.

Bring on summer! OK, that might be a bit greedy. I can wait to don shorts and T-shirts. But is it OK to put the long underwear away?

Comments

DB said…
Yeah Spring! Phil I like your style. I had 2 snow days this year but they were on a Saturday. I could see the first one but the second was a dusting of snow. Now I have to make up one day on Spring Break. SMH