Tackling social media



I tweet, therefore I am.


I blog, therefore I am even more.


I post on Facebook, therefore I am “connected.”


We tackled the exploding world of social media last night on our ‘Live From the Newsroom’ live-stream Internet broadcast.


If you missed it, you can catch the replay here.


I am most grateful to Lisa Bien, who runs the Bien Marketing Group and is also an adjunct professor at Temple University. She brought along with her one of her young employees, Ally Martelli.


Both explained how social media is changing their business. I already know how it is changing mine. It was good to hear from Ally, a recent college grad who basically grew up with all this tech.


For me and others in the journalism biz like me, it’s been a bit more of a challenge. Kind of like stepping off a cliff.


The world of social media is not without pitfalls, and for that reason we were joined by Dr. Michael Madden, a Media psychologist. I wanted to talk to him – and really the entire group – about the biggest complaint I hear from people, that it is becoming increasingly difficult to “unplug.”


I often wonder about the effect of being “plugged-in” 24 hours a day. Madden agreed that it is indeed a problem, and that individuals have to make choices, and set personal boundaries.


My wife tells me that all the time.


I think I can say with a fair amount of confidence that there is no turning back now. Both Lisa and Ally agreed with me, and Mike concurred.


The technology is not going away. We simply have to adjust to it. That means continuing changes in the way we deliver the news.


And it also means knowing when to shut everything off.


What time does that start?

Comments