40 days without beer


I will be forever grateful to Jim Vanore.


Jim is a member of our Community Media Lab and one of our featured bloggers. More importantly, he's also part of Lorraine Ranalli's Cucina Chatter gang. Lorraine, Jim, chef Jacquie Peccina-Kelly and our special guest Kandy Hughes of Kelly's Kandy of Collingdale, joined us last night for our 'Live From the Newsroom' show to discuss traditional Easter fare such as Easter bread, ham and frittatas.


If you missed the show, you can catch the replay here.


Jim and I share a Lenten tradition. It turns out we both give up beer for Lent.


So one of the things I shared with the panel last night was how much I was looking forward to my first cold one on Sunday afternoon.


That's when Jim indicated he was having one Saturday afternoon. Huh? How does that work? I immediately inquired.


Jim launched detailed rundown of what is usually referred to as the Paschal Triduum, the three days of Holy Thursday, Good Friday and Holy Saturday, followed by the celebration of Easter Sunday. Jim said his reasearch indicates that the tradition of 40 days of Easter fasting actually ends Saturday afternoon. It sounded like he knew what he was talking about. I wasn't about to argue with him.


If you've ever wondered about this, CLICK HERE for an pretty good explanation. For now, I'm banking on Saturday.


Two days to go.


Happy Easter!

Comments

DB said…
Wait a minute, I thought you gave up cursing. You gave up beer too. I am not so sure about the Saturday afternoon thing. Better wait until Sunday Afternoon. Lol, just joking! Happy Easter!