About Brian Dawkins

Let me make this perfectly clear. I like Brian Dawkins. I believe he is one of the all-time Eagles greats. I consider it a travesty and one of the worst decisions the current “gold standard” – Messrs. Lurie and Banner – have ever made when they let him walk away in a contract dispute. Dawkins announced on Twitter yesterday that he is hanging up his cleats. After spending a couple of years in Denver, he will retire as he should - as an Eagle. B-Dawk he will be honored at a special pre-game ceremony before the Eagles-Giants Sunday night game at Lincoln Financial Field on Sept. 30. In retrospect, it’s hard to argue with the decision to let Dawkins walk. The Eagles simply were not going to offer him the kind of money he got from the Broncos. And they were right to do so. But they never should have let the situation get to that point. Sure, Dawkins’ game on the field was in decline. But what he meant to this franchise off the field, in the locker room and on the sidelines, is probably as important as what he gave them once he stepped across those lines. Think that ragtag Eagles defense last year could have used Dawkins’ steady hand as they were gashed early and often as they adjusted to that Wide 9 defense? But amid the hosannas being offered to Dawkins today, I would like to add one item. It is the item I judge most football players by. Can someone remind me exactly how many Super Bowl rings Dawkins has won? Yes, that would be the same amount as the villified Donovan McNabb. And Michael Vick. And Reggie White (at least as an Eagle). And Wes Hopkins. And Seth Joyner and Jerome Brown. And Randall Cunningham. And Wilbert Montgomery. The list exemplifies a lifetime of loving a team that has always fallen just short of the brass ring. No gold standard here, Jeff and Joe. In fact, it would be the same number as every Eagle to don the green and white since 1960. That is five years after I was born, and just at the cusp of my life as a devoted Iggles fan. I have seen the Flyers win back-to-back Cups. I have seen the Dr. J. and Moses snag an NBA title. I have witnessed the Phillies capture two glorious World Series crowns. But I have yet to see the Eagles win a single Super Bowl title. They’ve gotten there twice. Dawkins was on one of those teams. They got torched by a mediocre offense. I will always revere Dawkins and what he meant to this franchise. But I am waiting for the “gold standard” to deliver the goods. Brian Dawkins delivered any number of highlights in a Hall of Fame career. But he is among the long list of Eagles who have yet to win a Super Bowl title. I just wanted to point that out. Listening, Mr. Vick? DeSean? LeSean? The man they are calling perhaps the greatest Eagle of all did not win a Super Bowl title. How about easing one fan’s pain.

Comments