Is the party over for Phils?

The Phillies just might be the luckiest team in town. How's that again? Let me explain. Yes, I realize the Phils are off to a lousy start. Yesterday they again failed to muster much of any offense, getting all of two hits in being shut out by the Cubs. The loss guarantees them a losing record for April for the first time in the last five years.
So why are they lucky? Because the Flyers are rolling in the playoffs, winning a thrilling Game 1 in overtime, while the Sixers now have a shot against the Bulls, who lost their star Derrick Rose in the waning moments of Saturday’s Game 1. Can you imagine the heat that would be coming down on Charlie Manuel and company if they were the only game in town? We’d be forced to talk about the Eagles draft, when we weren’t condemning the failed attempt at “small ball” that the Phils have instituted in the wake of the absence of Chase Utley and Ryan Howard. But here’s how I really know the Phils are in trouble. I saw something yesterday I have not seen in a long time. I just happened to wander into the house after spending much of the day soaking up some sun on the deck when I glanced at the TV where my wife was watching the game in the kitchen. It was in the eighth inning. And Citizens Bank Park looked like it was about a quarter empty. Either that or a lot of people attended yesterday’s game as blue seats. That has not happened in as long as I can remember. I have preached for years now that the magic of the Phillies current popularity is rooted in large part in Citizens Bank Park. It has become party central and the place to be in the summer for young people in the Delaware Valley. It used to be the beach; now it's the ballpark. Yes, I always thought it helped that the Phils were very good in many of those years. But I also am convinced it was as much party as it was love of baseball. That theory is about to be put to the test. I see no reason to believe the Phillies are about to turn this thing around. They will continue to struggle to score runs, and I’m not convinced the addition of Utley and Howard will change things all that much. The Phillies have sold out the joint for as long as anyone can remember. But Saturday night, on a very cold April evening, a lot of people didn’t show up at all. Yesterday, on a gorgeous, sun-splashed afternoon, a lot of people left early. So when will the Phils’ sellout streak end? Before Utley and Howard return? After, especially if they continue to struggle. As far as the Phils are concerned, the life may be about to go out of the party.

Comments