Opening Day for Masters, too

Look, I'm as big a Phillies fan as you will find.

But I would be lying if I told you my sports loyalties are not going to be torn today.

That's because it is not just Opening Day for the Fightin's. It is also Day 1 of the best sports event of the year.

Yes, it is time once again to drive down Magnolia Lane for the Masters, golf's first major of the year and the only one played on the same venue every year.

Simply put, very few sports events year in and year out produce the kind of drama that Augusta National does.

And this year there is even more intrigue, because a certain Tiger is back on the prowl.

There is one apparent downbeat note going into the tourney. Actually two.

First, there is the matter of a woman member of Augusta National. Therer aren't any. There is, however, now a woman who is CEO of IBM, one of the "tune-a-mint's" lead sponsors. Traditionally the boss at IBM gets a membership to Augusta National. Club boss Billy Payne isn't talking about whether the tradition will continue, or the club will abide by its other tradition, no women.

I could care less. Go ahead, call me sexist. The truth is I'm never going to drive down Magnolia Lane, even as a fan, and certainly not with any chance of playing the course. I'll leave the whole female member issue to other members of the media.

I reserve this weekend for golf, because this venue, in particular "Amen Corner" and the back nine, every year creates a very special kind of human drama.

The other issue has to do with one of the other signature traits of the course, and the tournament.

It turns out that not even all-powerful Augusta National can fool Mother Nature. Spring arrived early in Georgia. Reports indicate that the course's famous landscape of azaleas and rhododendrons, a crush of brillians reds, pinks and whites, was in full bloom - last week. This week the course is going to be more green, bereft of much of the hues that make it such great television.

I think I'll survive.

Now to the important issue. I've said it before and I'll say it again. There is no more dramatic figure in sports than Tiger Woods. That hasn't always been the case since his wife chased him down the driveway with a 3-iron. But Tiger is back.

It says here Tiger wins the Masters. Just remember where you heard it. And, it's not close.

Think Tiger could hit cleanup for the Phillies?

Comments

CharlieSix said…
Mr. Heron: I note we have a common interest in the Masters toon-a-mint (as well as the Phillies). As one of the more chronologically gifted (i.e older) readers of the Delco Times I remember so fondly the first and only time that your paper sent a sports journalist to cover the Masters---Greg Greenday. This was back in the day that the publisher allowed golf to get a good number of column inches of ink in the paper. If I recall correctly, it was the same year that Greg covered the Masters from onsite that he also penned a series on the best holes to play in the greater Delco area. Such as the so-called Blue Monster 5th hole of Blue Course at Beckett in Swedesboro. Wish I could, wish I might, Greg would still be writing for the Delco Times and he would be given the opportunity to bring us the 2012 Masters action from a true Delco guy viewpoint.