A question for drivers, police in Springfield

Question this morning for Delco drivers:


Every morning my commute brings me down Springfield Road headed toward Clifton Heights.

This morning I stopped at the light at Bishop Road when I noticed the car in front of me take a right turn on the red. You’re not supposed to do that, I yelled to no one else in the car, realizing that was kind of fruitless since we were the only two cars in the intersection. Then I remembered a guy behind me hitting his horn a week or so ago while I sat at the light with my turn signal on.

I kind of waved my hands at him, as if to inform him, ‘Hey, what do you want me to do, you can’t take a right on red here?”

But this morning I noticed something.

The ‘No Turn on Red’ sign is no longer there.

Has that been changed? Or is the sign just missing? I know that sign was there for a long time. Since I go through that intersection very early in the morning when there are literally no other cars on the road, I’d love it’s been changed. I often sit at that light wondering what exactly is the merit of me sitting there wasting gas with no one else on the road. But I also know that's a very busy intersection that very likely merits the restriction at other times of the day. I've always wondered if the 'No Turn on Red' restrictions should themselves be restricted to peak hours when the roads are clogged with cars, not the early-morning hours when you have the road to yourself.

I don’t want to risk the wrath of a ticket if the intersection hasn't bee changed. But if that's the case they probably should get that sign back up there.



Anyone know if they changed the rules for that intersection? Any Springfield police officers want to weigh in? Post a comment if you know something.

My guess is I can’t be the only one wondering about it. A ton of cars come up to that light and go red every day. Are we all (or at least most of us) waiting at the light for no reason?



Comments

Anonymous said…
I don't know about your no turn on red but I do know is these construction workers are stepping out from behind trucks without looking, making areas of construction so tight you can barely drive through without hitting one of them. No one seems to want to do anything about it but everyone seems to want to put up signs that say my daddy at work. as a driver you try to obey go slow and still they walk right out in front of you they don't care but if a driver hits one of them we get in trouble.
Anonymous said…
The sign must be missing. It was there!