30 years later, it's still all about the readers

Guess I can’t ignore it any longer.

Today is Flag Day.

It’s a special day for me. And not just because of Old Glory.

It’s been exactly 30 years since I reported for my first day of work here at the Delaware County Daily Times. June 14, 1982. There was no DelcoTimes.com back then.

I still can’t believe it.

There are so many stories, so many special people that I’ve met and worked with. And yet it still seems like a couple of weeks, not three decades.

Suffice it to say that I’ve been honored to work here, among a first-class group of people.

And an even bigger thanks to our readers, the most loyal and sometimes combative you’ll find.

I’ve enjoyed every day, all the conversations, all the arguments. I’ve always tried to be a listener, especially when it comes to the readers. They are, after all, the reason we are here.

The industry I work in is undergoing seismic change. We now deliver information over an array of platforms, not just the print edition we focused on so intently 30 years ago.

But one thing remains unchanged. We need readers. We need old readers, we need young readers. We need new readers.

Without you, we would not be here, regardless of what platform you decide to use for your daily dose of Delco news.

It’s been a great ride. And it’s not over yet.

Another 30? Maybe not. But I’m more convinced than ever that the Daily Times will be here long after I’m gone.

Our readers deserve no less.

Comments