30 years of covering Delaware County

We're way past the point of deniability now.

Come this Thursday, June 14, I will have been walking into this building for exactly 30 years.

You can read about it here in my print column.

I those 30 years I have gotten married (incredibly she has stayed with me), had two kids, watched them grow up, graduate from high school and this year law school and college.

And in those 30 years the industry I went to work in has basically been turned upside down.

But there is a constant. Every morning, I sit at this keyboard and try to make a difference.

That’s really what I hope the newspaper and website do every day.

I know a lot of people would like to differ, who point out all we do is dwell on the negative.

I would challenge them to take a closer look.

You really don’t have to look any farther than today’s Daily Times. Our lead story today from Patti Mengers details the end of an era for five parochial schools here in the county that will be merged into new schools come the fall. You can read it here.

Each of these institutions has played a crucial role in their community. I didn’t want their closings to go unmarked.

That’s why we devoted as much space today to them as we did.

It’s called being the paper of record for your community.

Both the good and the bad, the happy and sad moments that we remember forever.

Or at least for 30 years.

Comments

Kevin T said…
As a new writer at The News of Delaware County, and for three years before that at my university's newspaper, I can agree with your statement on reader's dwelling on the negative.

It's unfortunate that journalists put forth such hard work trying to reach out to the community only to get reprimanded for making even the slightest error elsewhere.

When we report on great community outreach events, we don't get a lot of recognition. No worries, it's part of the job. But when we keep reporting about crime, misinterpret a quote, or a spelling error slips past the copy editor's eyes, we don't hear the end of it. I've learned in this business we can't please everybody.

I've been a loyal reader of the Daily Times for over 15 years (and I'm only 22), and it inspired me to pursue journalism as a career. I commend you for 30 years of excellent reporting, and wish you the best of luck for the rest of your time in this ever-changing world of journalism.

Cheers!
-Kevin