A great night to be a newspaper editor

Last night was one of the best nights of the year.

At least for a newspaper editor. In particular this newspaper editor.

I didn’t have to do a thing. All I had to do was show up at our 26th annual Daily Times/Exelon All-Delco Athletic Awards Banquet.

The premise is simple. We gather all the kids who have been named to our All-Delco high school sports teams and we bring them together for one end-of-year blowout.

You can read all about it here.

Why do I love this event? Unless you do what I do for a living, you have no idea what it is like to sit in a packed banquet room among 600 people, all of whom are raving about your newspaper. 

That is not because of me. Believe me, that's not usually the case. Too many of the conversations I have with readers end in shouts. We make a lot of people unhappy every day on my side of the newsroom.

No, the goodwill that was radiating through Springfield Country Club last night was because of our sports department, under the guidance of sports editor Rob Parent.

They were there in force again last night, reinforcing their reputation as Delco’s sports authority.

Great staff. Great night.

Comments