A fast, hectic summer

Where the hell did summer go? A glance at the calendar shows it is July 23. July 23? Wasn’t last week Memorial Day? And wasn’t yesterday July 4. Why is the Sunday paper full of circulars hawking ‘Back to School’ sales?

I love summer. I love the heat. I love the humidity.

You would think given my affecttion for this kind of soupy weather, this summer would have been the best in memory. Not so.

There’s been too much going on. It started with two commencements in May and has not stopped since.

We’ve moved our son to West Virginia, where he will begin teaching high school English in the fall.

It seems like my daughter has been locked down in the basement all summer, prepping for the Bar Exam. She will finally take in Tuesday and Wednesday in Philly. The we will try to get her set up in D.C. where she will start her career in law.

Along the way, my father-in-law, who had been in failing health for months, passed away.

Vacation has been pretty much a rumor.

There’s a part of me that would like nothing more than to just go sit on the beach for the month of August, then get back on the merry-go-round that we call life after Labor Day. That’s not going to happen.

Eagles training camp starts today.

Yeah, that cements it. Summer is almost over.

Comments