The case against Monsignor Lynn

I have never met Judge M. Teresa Sarmina. I have met Monsignor William Lynn. He was my parish priest at St. Joe's in Downingtown.

Let's get one that up front. Yes, I knew Monsignor Lynn. I have had trouble equating the man I knew with the man who as secretary of the clergy was said to be up to his neck in the archdiocese's policy of moving around predatory priests.

It was for those actions that he was convicted of one charge of endangering children. He was acquitted of another endangerment charge as well as a conspiracy rap.

I abhor those actions, as well as this whole tawdry story of priest child sexual abuse and what was pretty clearly a diabolical plan by the archdiocese to cover it up.

But I'm still not buying the belief that Lynn is somehow a flight danger, that he could skip town and even head to the Vatican should he be granted bail.

Lynn has been behind bars since his conviction several weeks ago. Yesterday Judge Sarmina rejected his plea to be released on house arrest. You can read about her ruling here.

I suppose she has her reasons. She did, however, grant a motion to move up his sentencing date. He was expected to be sentenced on Aug. 13. That has now been moved up to July 24. He will reman behind bars until then.

No doubt that will come as good news to the people who emailed me and called to object to my earlier writing that I did not see any point in keeping him in jail.

"He's exactly where he belongs," one defiant caller suggested.

I don't see it.

I don't see Lynn somehow trying to hightail it to the Vatican.

I don't see any of it.

I see only sadness. 


Comments