NCAA knocks JoePa from his pedestal

UPDATE: The NCAA has spoken.

Yesterday they took down the statue of Paterno that sat outside Beaver Stadium.

This morning the NCAA knocked Paterno completely off his pedestal as the winningest coach in NCAA Division 1 history. Among the sanctions the NCAA dropped on the Nittany Lions is stripping the school of all its victories from 1998-2011.

This is from someone who was never really a big fan of either Joe Paterno or Penn State. I don't get it. It's pretty clear this was structured specifically as a way to take a shot at Paterno, and to take his name off from the top of that list with the most victories.

It strikes me as vindictive.

At least that's my initial reaction. If you disagree, by all means post a comment.

Comments

Unknown said…
Phil, I've been telling people all day that I thought the vacating of 14 seasons worth of wins was the worst punishment the NCAA handed out today. Joe Paterno is dead; he can't defend himself or provide any counter to the Freeh report.

It's a shame that Joe Pa's legacy has been erased; it's creating revisionist history at best.
Unknown said…
Phil, as I've been telling people all day, the vacating of 14 seasons worth of victories is the worst part of the ounishment the NCAA handed down against Penn State.

Joe Paterno is deceased; he has no means of defending his name or his honor, and theree is no was for anyone now to counter the attacks on his reputation - this despite him admitting some compliance in this mess.

Joe Pa's legacy was erased this morning by the NCAA; future generations will never read about the successes (on and off the field) of a man who spent 60+ years at the institution. This is a travesty and, in my mind, the ultimate revision of history.
Anonymous said…
I almost never leave a response, but after browsing through a lot of
remarks on "NCAA knocks JoePa from his pedestal". I do have 2 questions for you if you tend not to
mind. Could it be just me or does it look like like some of these remarks appear as if they are
written by brain dead visitors? :-P And, if you are writing on other places, I
would like to keep up with you. Would you list of the complete urls of all your social networking sites like your Facebook
page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?
Here is my weblog ... ads publisher sites