A rush to judgment against Paterno?

It doesn’t look like the Jerry Sandusky-Penn State saga is going away anytime soon.

Now the Middle States Commission on Higher Education is getting involved, waving a pretty big hammer at the Nittany Lions, threatening to pull their accreditation.

It’s a serious threat. But it’s very unlikely to happen. For one thing, it would cripple the university, making it much more difficult for students to get financial aid. No one is going to let that happen.

My colleague Gil Spencer takes a pretty dim view of what is going on with the bureaucrats at Middle States. CLICK HERE for Gil’s take on the situation.

Later this week the two Penn State officials charged in the Sandusky scandal are due in court for a pre-trial hearing. Former athletic director Tim Curley and VP Gary Schultz face trial for lying to the grand jury investigating the Sandusky affair.

But maybe one of the most interesting things I’ve read recently on the Sandusky case appears today on our op-ed page.

It was penned by a documentary filmmaker and media critic who believes legendary Nittany Lion football coach Joe Paterno is getting a raw deal in all of this.

And John Ziegler has some fairly startling polling information to back up his case.

Ziegler is pointing a finger of blame at the media for creating the frenzy and rush to judgment against Paterno.

I’m not sure I agree with him. I’m not sure we’ll ever know just what Paterno knew and when he knew it. But after talking to Ziegler, he has a very interesting theory that I don't think anyone has yet considered.

I’ve written about the Penn State fiasco any number of times, including my belief that very little happened at Penn State that Paterno did not sign off on, so I guess you could say Ziegler also is pointing a finger at me.

That doesn’t mean I won’t offer him the opportunity to give his side of things.

He does just that in his guest column today.

Anyone happen to agree with him?

Comments