Andy Reid goes back to work

Andy Reid will be on the sidelines tonight when the Eagles kick off their exhibition season against the Steelers at Lincoln Financial Field.

Actually Reid went back to work at training camp in Lehigh yesterday, just one day after burying his oldest son, Garrett.

We have full coverage here, and columnist Matt DeGeorge offers his backing for Reid's decision here.

A lot of people today are questioning Reid’s decision to go back to work so soon.

I will not be among them.

Thankfully, I do not have any idea of the agony Andy Reid has gone through with the tribulations of his son. Garrett’s problems with drugs likely took his life. As Reid himself said, Garrett “lost the battle.”

It’s a battle a lot of families deal with, and almost everyone in a different way. I've been incredibly lucky. My two kids have not given me even a hint of worry, certainly not the tribulations I put my parents through.

Reid has decided to plunge back into his work. Of course, Reid does not work in an office. Or the local store. He has one of the most high-profile, high-pressure jobs in the region.

We’ve been pretty hard on Andy Reid. He’s won a ton of games, and more than his share of playoff games. He just hasn't won a Super Bowl, as any fan is quick to point out.  I’ve been among his most vocal critics. But not now. And not tonight.

I hope the national media take note tonight when the fans they are so quick to eviscerate rise as one and offer Reid one of the truly memorable standing ovations in Philly history.

It promises to be an electric moment.

One I’m sure Reid wishes were not so. He can’t bring back his son. So he went back to work.

I don’t blame him a bit.


Comments