Feeling for Andy Reid

As a father who just saw both his children off to start the next part of their lives, I can’t imagine the horror Andy Reid is dealing with this morning.

My daughter this morning will start her new career in the legal world in Washington, D.C. My son is firmly enscsonced in West Virginia, where he will be a high school teacher.

Their mother and I could not be more proud.

That’s why I felt so badly when what had been a fairly routine Sunday morning of updating the website and then perusing the Sunday paper was interrupted by that incessant beep from my cell phone. It ‘alerts’ me to breaking news.

And this was the worst kind.

Garrett Reid had been found dead in his dorm room at Lehigh University, where the Eagles – the teach coached by his dad – hold summer training camp and where he was working as a volunteer strength and conditioning assistant.

I kind of blinked and read the message again. Having been burned by this kind of breaking news before, I first called our beat writer Bob Grotz and asked him if it was true. He confirmed it.

Then I started the process of sending out our own text alert, followed by a couple of furious hours of posting a story on the website, sending out tweets and updating our Facebook page.

It was during the course of this that it dawned on me that Andy Reid and I have something in common. We’re both consumed by our jobs.

That’s why I hugged my daughter just a little tighter a few hours later when she took off for her new life in the nation’s capital.

I can’t pretend to imagine what Andy Reid is going through. But I did notice that he is planning to be back on the job later this week, likely including coaching the Eagles first exhibition game Thursday night.

I am sure a lot of people will question that decision. Not me.

I think I know what fuels Andy Reid. I think I can understand what drives him – and the sacrifices incurred along the way.

I’m not saying it’s right. I’m just saying I think I understand.

I consider myself very lucky. I have two great kids and a wife who for years has understood what my job entails.

And my heart breaks for Andy Reid.

 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Phil its nice to know the compassion you have for people.