Madonna show sparks an old memory

Maybe someone can explain this one to me. I’ve always been something of a lukewarm Madonna fan. She has one song that I am in love with. Actually it's not so much love as much as it is haunted. It is called ‘Live to Tell.’ It was the theme song for a movie called ‘At Close Range.’

That movie holds a very special place in my heart.

It tells the story of Chester County’s infamous Johnston gang. They rocketed to fame as the target of a federal investigation into the theft ring that specialized in stealing farm equipment in the mid-’70s.

The story exploded when Bruce Johnston Jr., who had been subpoenaed to appear before a federal grand jury, was ambushed as he pulled into a driveway. The girl with him that sultry August night was Robin Miller. She was a friend of my family. I knew her, her sisters and her mother.

I had just arrived back east and was working as a stringer for the Coatesville Record. Some of the first stories I wrote were about the ambush-murder of Robin Miller. I covered the Johnston brothers saga for several years. The brothers eventually all were convicted of murder for killing Robin and several other young men who were subpoenaed.

At any rate, every time I think of Madonna, I think of that song. It was a lifetime ago. I wonder about the career I have chosen. How many murders? How many gruesome cases? But none of them hit me like the death of Robin Miller. I knew her. She was a friend. And then I had to tell her mother that I was working as a reporter, and was trying - pretty badly in fact - to separate my personal life from the job.

All of which brings me back to my original thought. Madonna was in town last night.

For some reason she thought it was OK to let people who had paid big bucks for tickets to her tour kickoff show in Philly sit around for three hours before taking the stage.

She eventually went sometime after 10:30 to a smattering of boos.

I don’t know if she did ‘Live to Tell.’

That was a long time ago.

But I still remember.

I have a tale to tell, too. And I’ve been doing now for more than 30 years.

Rest well, Robin.

You have not been forgotten.

Comments

Unknown said…
Phil,

I too have slways been moved by this story as well as this song. Anytime it plays, I think of this movie and how a father could murder so many including his own children. I found this comment because I just saw the movie on TV and was curious about the background story. I did not realize Robin was only 15 years-old. It must have been very difficult for you knowing Robin and the family, as well as report on the murder. Are you still friends with their family? Did you know any of the Johnston family? Thanks for the story.
Anonymous said…
Phil:

I hope you can sleep at night these days. Memories stick their little noses up at the strangest timed!

I was watching a program on "ID" this morning, and the Johnston gang, so I goggles the name, and right away the Lincoln name up in one of the articles. I knew that name, and the whole story came tumbling across my screen.

I grew up in Malvern, in Chesco, but had married and moved away, but all these years later - here we are! Thanks for a job well done.

Esther Templin
Reading PA