The campaign just got a lot more serious

I don’t proclaim to know whether Paul Ryan has the answers to the country’s economic morass.

For those of you who are wondering who Paul Ryan is, I will assume you spent all weekend lying on the beach. I envy you.

Ryan is the Wisconsin congressman tapped by Mitt Romney for the No. 2 spot on the Republican presidential ticket. He made his announcement Saturday morning on the desk of – most appropriately – the USS Wisconsin at a dock on Virginia.

Ryan is probably best known for his budget plan including an overhaul of the Medicare system and other entitlements.

Let me say up front that I don’t have a dog in this fight. I am bearing down on 57 in a couple of weeks. Ryan’s plan will not affect anyone over 55.

But it will be a marked difference from the traditional plan that is in place now.

As I said, Ryan has a plan. And that’s one reason I find him intriguing. He has a plan and he’s put it out there for public consumption. That alone gives him a distinction that most candidates can’t claim. I am tired of those who hurl barbs at someline like Ryan who has put his idea out there for public consumption, but have not done likewise themselves.

I also noticed something else. Is it just me, or did the tone of the debate also change over the weekend? It struck me as more serious, less consumed with name-calling and wild claims about whether or not Mitt Romney either didn’t pay taxes or at least didn’t pay enough.

Then again, maybe I'm still trying to get past the silliness that erupted with the choice of Sarah Palin by John McCain four years ago.

President Obama seemed ready to take the high road as well, saying that Ryan will be a good spokesman for Romney’s vision.

If there’s anything this country needs, it’s a serious discussion of the issues that continue to haunt our efforts at economic recovery.

If nothing else, Paul Ryan will produce that.

I’m already looking forward to a Ryan-Biden debate.

Who needs Labor Day? On with the campaign.

 

Comments