The redemption of Michael Vick

The redemption of Michael Vick continues.

I know this is not going to be popular. I know there are people who are never going to forgive the Eagles quarterback for what he did. It has nothing to do with football. And it has nothing to do with the Eagles, or how well Vick is - or isn’t - playing at any particular time.

It’s about animals, and what Vick is believed to have done to them as he financed a dog-fighting ring. For those crimes he spent two years in a federal prison.

I know there are a lot of people who don’t believe that was nearly enough, and the thought of Vick again assuming the mantra of an NFL superstar turns their stomach. The fact that he is doing it in the familiar green and white of the Eagles turns a lot of fans’ stomachs. I know people who were lifelong fans, but now will have nothing to do with the team because of the affiliation with Vick. They vow they will not get on board until Vick is gone. I hope they're waiting for a long time.

I know all of the issues people have with Vick. And they are legitimate ones.

And still I have to admit I am impressed by Vick.

And this from someone who was not a fan of his when he first came into the league as a Falcon.

Since a clearly humbled Vick arrived in Philadelphia, he strikes me as a changed man. He has done and said everything he should. He sounds nothing like the guy who played in Atlanta. Maybe two years in a federal prison will do that to you.

Yesterday Vick was giving back to the community. You can read it here.

He contributed $200,000 toward a $1 milion community renovation project that will provide recreation facilities in the Hunting Park section of the city. A football field at the facility will be called “Team Vick Field.” It’s the latest venture in Vick’s foundation to push youth projects in communities.

I know that a lot of people will sniff and say it doesn’t matter, that it doesn’t make up for what Vick once did.

I’m not among them.

I admire the guy. And I would regardless of whether he was the Eagles quarterback, although I would be lying if I said that doesen’t factor into it.

I’m an Eagles fan. I want them to do well. So I cheer for Vick.

But I’m an even bigger fan of people, especially those who turn themselves around after facing hardship.

A lot of people keep waiting for Vick to fail.

I hope they’re wrong.

Count me as a Vick fan.

On and off the field.

Comments