A simply perfect Sunday without the Eagles

I’m not a big fan of the NFL’s bye week. I kind of like my Sunday routine parked in front of the tube enjoying the agony & ecstasy we otherwise refer to as Eagles football.

But I have to admit I didn’t mind not having to spend all day yesterday inside watching the game.

That’s because it was absolutely gorgeous out, and the Mrs. and I spent most of the day outside.

We did something we haven’t done in a long time. No, not that.

We decided during our morning walk that a day like this one merited spending as much time outside as we could. So we piled in the car and took a nice long ride. Now, with gas going for $3.80 a gallon, we've been trying to keep close tabs on our car use. That's not as easy as it sounds. One of the banes of my existence is the suburban lifestyle we've built for ourselves. In other words, aside from taking our walk through the development, there is absolutely nothing we do that does not require us to get into the car.

I hate it. It's one of the reasons I cannot wait to sell the house and move into a "town" where we can walk to do most of the things we need to do each day.

On this Sunday, we wound up in Valley Forge, where we of course took another walk.

In a word, it was just about perfect. The trees are starting to turn and we simply took in all the colors, both as we drove along country roads, and once again when we got to the park.

Not even Andy Reid could ruin an afternoon as sparkling as this one. No wasted timeouts. No passing on third-and-one. No stupid penalties.

The Eagles return to practice this week. The unbeaten Atlanta Falcons are due at the Linc on Sunday.

Something tells me it won’t be as pretty as it was yesterday.

Comments