Get a clue: Yes, there were problems with the Sunday crossword

I’ve said it many times. I am not a crossword puzzle or comics guy. They’re not my thing.

But I’m aware that they are very important to a lot of people, including lots of  longtime loyal readers of this newspaper. It’s part of their morning routine, especially on Sunday.

So it is not a good idea to foul these crucial items up.

But that’s just what we did yesterday.

Yes, we heard from many of you who sharpened up your No. 2 pencils, poured yourself a nice, fresh cup of coffee, and prepared to do battle with the Sunday Crossword.

It usually helps if we provide all the clues. We did not do that yesterday. Actually, the syndicate we buy the Crossword from was at fault, but it still falls on us, and me in particular. Unfortunately it’s another example of us falling victim to the technology we are swimming in these days. These items are now downloaded directly from the syndicate. We never actually see them until they are in print.

Yesterday that process blew up in our face. A lot of the clues were not listed.

What I hope to do is run a corrected version of the Crossword in the paper next Sunday, along with the one that is due to run on that day.

I apologize to our readers for the inconvenience.

Comments