The next coach of the Eagles?

Don't count me among those people who are actually hoping the Eagles lose tonight in their key Monday night matchup against the Saints in the belief that another 'L' just might move Jeff Lurie to end the Andy Reid era.

I just can't bring myself to do it. That does not change my mind when it comes to the game. I made The Dreaded Saturday Eagles Pick as I always do - on Saturday. I don't think the Eagles are going to win. I take no joy in picking against them. I hope they win. I always do, I just don't think they will tonight. I don't think this offense is going to generate enough points to offset the juggernaut that is Drew Brees and the Saints offense.

That is not to say I don't have an interesting angle on the Eagles. I expect them to lose. I expect Andy Reid to make the move to Nick Foles. And I expect the Reid Era to end at the conclusion of this miserable season.

And I have a name for you to keep in mind. Bill O'Brien. Yes, the man who had the entire Penn State football debacle dumped in his lap.

O'Brien had done a first-rate job with the Nittany Lions amid about the worst circumstances you can imagine. I have no idea if O'Brien can get out of his contract at Penn State, and I am guessing that if he could he might have considered doing so when those NCAA sanctions came raining down on Happy Valley.

But it's a name Eagles boss Jeff Lurie should consider. In addition to the work he's done this year filling the massive legacy of Joe Paterno at Penn State, O'Brien was the architect of that New England Patriots offense that vaulted Tom Brady into superstardom.

It's a name to keep in mind, especially tomorrow morning when I am guessing that Eagles fans will be looking for Andy Reid's job.

I don't think Lurie will ever make a move during the regular season, so we'll all have something to talk about for the next couple of months, even if the games don't mean all that much.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Why would he leave the job he just got and bail on those kids?