There's something to be said for a boring life

I once again have cause to refer to one of my favorite thoughts.

It strikes me every time I see someone’s life and career go up in flames amid the tabloid fodder of their personal peccadilloes. This week it is the astounding fall of Gen. David Petraeus. The man who formed our successful Iraq strategy and went on to lead the CIA is now trying to put his personal life back together after he resigned his position last week amid word that he had cheated on his wife. Doesn’t everyone?

Actually, no, they don’t. But people who don’t engage in extramarital affaris do not make headlines. Even the famous ones. The PR guru who once famously said there is no such thing as bad publicity might want to consult with Petraeus today. He is said to be shocked as the details of his infidelity play out on front pages across the nation.

This morning there are more characters being added to this drama. In addition to Petraeus and his paramour, his biographer Paula Broadwell, there is now another ‘other’ woman. That is Jill Kelly, a Petraeus family friend who apparently was the target of harassing emails from Broadwell. And now another general has been sucked into this story. Gen. John Allen, who just happens to be the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, is now being investigated for emails he exchanged with Kelly.

It’s getting hard to tell the players without a scorecard in this sex scandal.

And that saying that always pops into my mind at these times?

When I collapse into bed every night after another long day watching someone else’s career go up in smoke, I am usually comforted by the following thought: There really is something to be said for a boring life.

Where do these people find the time? Not that I would ever consider it. My wife would kill me, before she kicked me out of the house.

Most days I don’t have time to blow my nose. Where do these guys find the time to carry on these affairs.

A boring life? I’ll take it.

And I have a feeling right about now David Petraeus would take it, too.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Agreed....Boring is boring but boring is also safe, and safe is good!