The Dreaded Saturday Eagles Pick

Anyone remember when Dallas week used to be something special?

Not anymore.

That’s how far this franchise has fallen. Even against the hated Cowboys, Eagles fans will root for still one more loss to hasten the demise of Andy Reid, and increase the team’s position in next year’s draft.

We no longer talk about putting a hurt on Tony Romo, stopping DeMarcus Ware, or covering Jason Witten.

The wounded Birds will wobble into Texas Stadium without starting quarterback Michael Vick. Don’t look for star running back LeSean McCoy or wideout DeSean Jackson either. They’re both on the shelf as well, McCoy still fighting a concussion – as is Vick – while Jackson has busted ribs.

One bright spot for Eagles’ fans, we won’t have to complain about Jason Babin. The overpriced figment of the Wide Nine defensive scheme was excised from the roster this week in the first of what will likely be a huge turnover for next year.

All of that means a third straight start for Nick Foles, and another healthy dose of rookie running back Bryce Brown. Keep an eye on Brown. He opened a lot of eyes by setting a team rookie rushing record of 178 yards in Monday night’s loss to the Panthers.

It doesn’t much matter. Despite being showcased for the second straight week on national TV, this bunch is anything but ready for prime time.

The Pick: Make it Cowboys 33, Eagles 23. Foles continues to be mediocre, while Bryce Brown continues to excel. But they fall to a not very good Cowboys team. This season can’t end soon enough.

Last Week: Not sure what I was thinking in picking the Eagles to beat the Panthers. For the second straight week, they got hung out to dry by a very mobile, young quarterback. Two weeks ago it was RGIII. Last week it was Cam Newton. This week they get beat from the pocket by Romo.

Season Record: Forget the ‘fiscal cliff.’ The  Eagles have already jumped off. They have now lost seven straight and sit at a measly 3-8, maybe the worst team in the NFC. All of a sudden I’m veering toward mediocrity myself. Two straight losing picks leaves me at a wounded  6-5. I need to finish strong. About the only thing left is if this team will win another game this year.

Game by Game: Eagles 17, Browns 16 (My Pick: Eagles 27, Browns 13)

Eagles 24, Ravens 23 (My Pick: Eagles 24, Ravens 23 - On the Money!)

Cardinals 27, Eagles 6 (My Pick: Eagles 29, Cardinals 13)

Eagles 19, Giants 17 (My Pick: Eagles 19, Giants 17 - On the Money!)

Steelers 16, Eagles 14 (My Pick: Steelers 24, Eagles 16.)

Lions 26, Eagles 23 (My pick: Eagles 19, Lions 17)

Falcons 30, Eagles 17 (My pick: Eagles 29, Falcons 17)

Saints 28, Eagles 13 (My pick: Saints 37, Eagles 19)

Cowboys 38, Eagles 23 (My pick: Cowboys 23, Eagles 17)

Redskins 31 Eagles 6 (My pick: Eagles 29, Redskins 24)

Panthers 30, Eagles 22 (My pick: Eagles 23, Panthers 13)

Comments