The Dreaded Saturday Eagles Pick

For 14 years, Andy Reid has offered the following droll response to fans and media: Time’s yours.

Not anymore, Coach.

It’s very likely Reid will walk out onto the turf of Lincoln Financial Field for the last time as the Eagles head coach on Sunday when the Birds meet the Redskins.

The Eagles are playing out the string of a second straight season absent from the playoffs. Meanwhile, they can still play the role of spoiler, with dates against the Redskins this week and the Giants in the season finale, the Eagles could decide who wins the NFC East. One thing is certain – it won’t be them.

Reid’s troops were officially eliminated a couple of weeks ago.

Now the big question is whether LeSean McCoy should actually play in these last two games. Or whether Nick Foles has shown enough to be go into next season as the starter. And who the candidates are to follow Reid.

Anyone remember when December used to mean a playoff drive. At one time, that was routine for Reid. Not anymore. Reid’s era has been sabotaged by his own series of bad decisions. The only thing left is just how the fans will treat the winningest coach in team history in his home finale. The guess here is that it depends on how the game is going. And that is not good news for Reid. The Redskins are driving toward their first playoff appearance in years. The only place the Eagles are driving is to the airport to get out of town after another miserable season.

The Pick: Make it Redskins 26, Eagles 13. I doubt we’ll know much more about Nick Foles after this game. But we should know if the past few weeks under Tommy Brasher has been a mirage for the Birds’ defense. If they can corral Robert Griffin III (who looks like he is going to play), it will only reinforce my belief that this could have been a playoff team without Jim Washburn and that God-awful Wide 9 defensive alignment.

Last Week: The Eagles got embarrassed one more time on national TV. They actually had the lead going into the second half when they imploded under a series of turnovers. That’s been one of the big stories of this year. This team just insists on giving the ball away. Look for them to rectify that situation, but I don’t think it will be enough.

Season Record: 4-10. Yep, you read it right. The Eagles are 4-10. And yes, I can admit that before the season started I believed this team had a shot at going to the Super Bowl. Ouch. On the other hand, I’m enjoying one of my better seasons of prognostications, that Super Bowl pick not withstanding. Going with the Bengals raised my mark to 9-5.

Game by Game: Eagles 17, Browns 16 (My Pick: Eagles 27, Browns 13)

Eagles 24, Ravens 23 (My Pick: Eagles 24, Ravens 23 - On the Money!)

Cardinals 27, Eagles 6 (My Pick: Eagles 29, Cardinals 13)

Eagles 19, Giants 17 (My Pick: Eagles 19, Giants 17 - On the Money!)

Steelers 16, Eagles 14 (My Pick: Steelers 24, Eagles 16.)

Lions 26, Eagles 23 (My pick: Eagles 19, Lions 17)

Falcons 30, Eagles 17 (My pick: Eagles 29, Falcons 17)

Saints 28, Eagles 13 (My pick: Saints 37, Eagles 19)

Cowboys 38, Eagles 23 (My pick: Cowboys 23, Eagles 17)

Redskins 31 Eagles 6 (My pick: Eagles 29, Redskins 24)

Panthers 30, Eagles 22 (My pick: Eagles 23, Panthers 13)

Cowboys 38, Eagles 33 (My pick: Cowboys 33, Eagles 23)

Eagles 23, Buccaneers 21 (My pick: Eagles 26, Buccaneers 17)

Bengals 34, Eagles 13 (My pick, Bengals 23, Eagles 17)

 

Comments