A sobering reminder of what we too often take for granted

I’m not big on New Year’s resolutions. But I’m thinking of changing my stance.

I spend a lot of time at work. I’m not complaining. It sort of goes with the territory. You don’t get into this business if you’re not willing to be married to your job. Just ask my long-suffering wife.

I probably spend a lot more time with the people I work with every day than either my wife or family. Yes, I know that’s not a recipe for a great marriage, but so far my spouse has not kicked my sorry behind to the curb.

Even spending this much time at work, in close interaction with fellow employees, I’m always amazed at how little we actually know about each other, and what is really going on in each others’ lives.

I recently learned that a co-worker, a woman who works in our advertising department, had suffered some serious health setbacks. A big part of the initial shock was the recognition that I had walked past her every day and had no idea what she was dealing with.

How could that happen?

This morning I was greeted by the worst news imaginable. My co-worker passed away.

And again I am left to wonder how this could possibly happen.

As I said, I’m not big on resolutions. Ironically, I was writing about this yesterday for my Monday column. I think I might change my stand. I have been in this business for 30 years. In those three decades I have likely read thousands of obituaries. I’m still waiting to read one for someone who wishes they had spent more time in the office.

Go home. Hug your wife and kids. Tell them you love them.

And while you’re at it, do the same with your co-workers.

Rest well, Teri.

Comments