Thanks for the laugh, KYW

I don’t often turn to KYW Newsradio for humor.
But I found myself laughing out loud at the ungodly early hour that I leave for the office this morning. And I have my old friend 1060-AM to thank for it. If you do what I do for a living, KYW is pretty much the soundtrack of your life. It’s the first thing I do when my feet hit the floor in the morning, even before I turn on the coffee maker. It quickly alerts me to anything that might have happened in the world in the few hours since I slipped into my nightly coma the night before.

I know their jingles by heart. Go ahead, admit it. You do, too. “KYW, Newsradio, 1060.” All news all the time. Traffic on the 2’s.
So it was that I was barely out of my neighborhood this morning when I heard something that jolted me just a bit, then had me laughing out loud. That’s not something I often do at that hour. I routinely have that reaction to my early-morning buddy Big Daddy Graham on WIP, but not the usually somewhat straight-laced KYW.
So what tickled my funny bone?
They were doing what we in the business call a tease, a promo for an upcoming story meant to lure you in and keep you tuned to their station. It’s the same theory we use with the front page of the newspaper. We hope we can lure you in to buy a copy while you’re walking to the train or trolley, or standing in line at the Wawa.
The tease was to a story on a lawsuit filed by a couple of guys in South Jersey against the Subway food chain. They are claiming they are getting ripped off on the chain’s claim with their “foot-long” subs. Apparently these guys actually measured them and believe they are literally getting shorted.
The tease used a quote from one of the guys basically saying no matter how you measure it the chain’s sandwiches come up an inch or so short.
Unless I was hallucinating (and at that hour it’s entirely possible) I then heard the voice of a female reporter offer this response: “Get ready for the ‘that’s what she said’ jokes.
I nearly drove off the road.
Oddly enough, I have not heard that teaser air again this morning.
I hope it wasn’t because anyone was offended. I thought it was hilarious. As is the lawsuit.
Thanks for the morning pick-me-up to the folks at KYW. Feel free to entertain me at that hour anytime.

 

Comments